According to the Arthritis Foundation in America, arthritis is the leading cause of disability, affecting 1 in 4 Americans.
Arthritis describes over 100 diseases that affect your joints, muscles, and skeletal system. The word arthritis means “joint swelling.” This inflammation does not affect only the joints; it also affects surrounding tissues such as ligaments and tendons.
Learn about the common symptoms, causes, and treatments of arthritis in Florida.
The most common symptoms of arthritis include:
– Joints that are difficult to move
Each type of arthritis can cause its own symptoms in addition to the above. For example, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis causes eye problems like iritis.
Each type of arthritis has its own unique cause. Possible causes of arthritis include:
– Gout and calcium pyrophosphate (CPPD), both of which are metabolic disorders, can be caused by a metabolic disorder.
– Degenerative arthritis can be caused by an injury to the joints.
– Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis are both caused by immune system problems.
– Osteoarthritis can be caused by genetic inheritance.
– Lyme diseases, for example, can cause arthritis symptoms.
You should know that certain types of arthritis are not predictable because they have no clear cause.
Treatment of Arthritis
Many treatment options are available for arthritis. These include reducing pain, minimizing joint damage, and improving joint function and quality of life. Treatment approaches for arthritis are:
– Injection therapy is a great alternative to oral medication therapy, but it has some side effects. Injection therapy involves injecting certain medications such as anesthetics and corticosteroids at the site of pain to relieve discomfort and pain.
– Viscosupplementation: This is the injection of a joint lubricant, such as hyaluronic acids, to reduce stiffness and pain.
– Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP) is recommended to treat arthritis because the plasma and platelets in the therapy accelerate the healing process of damaged joints. PRP can also be used to treat arthritis by replacing damaged cells with new ones.
– Radiofrequency Ablation Therapy: The radiofrequency ablation therapy is effective for painful joints. Radio waves are used in the treatment to heat up and destroy nerve endings that send pain signals from the affected joints to the brain.
– Spinal Cord Stimulation – A type of neuromodulation, spinal cord stimulation uses electric waves to block your brain’s pathway with nerves. This eliminates pain.
Arthritis Treatment Near You
Joint pain can affect your quality of life and daily activities. Consult one of our doctors if your arthritis symptoms don’t go away after resting and using home remedies. Our pain management doctors offer our patients interventional strategies to overcome the effects of arthritis.
You can book an appointment with a doctor in your area by calling us or using our online form.
A medical professional wrote this article at Florida Medical Pain Management. Florida Medical Pain Management is proud to offer comprehensive pain management services to a diverse group of patients. Patients at Florida Medical Pain Management can get help managing hip, knee, leg, and neck pain. The practice also offers comprehensive arthritis management, along with treatments for auto accidents, sports, and work injuries as well as pain management Tampa FL.